Thursday, May 26, 2022

Class #7 - Writing #2 due; also Sentence Combining

Good morning! How was your week?

Did everyone send me Writing #2?

Sentence Combining

Writing principle - two short sentences should be combined into a longer one when possible.

Examples:
I like music. I don't like dancing. => I like music, but I don't like dancing.
I don't have any money. I can't buy a car. => I don't have any money, so I can't buy a car.
Rome is the largest city in Italy. It is the capital of Italy.
  => Rome, the largest city in Italy, is the capital.
  => Rome is the capital of Italy and its largest city.
  => The capital and largest city in Italy is Rome.

Your turn:
Sharon brought a pie to the party. It was an apple pie. =>
The baseball team celebrated. They won the championship. =>
We are going to the park. We are going to have a picnic. We are going to play soccer.  =>

More ...
My soup was cold. I heated it in the microwave.
The movie was exciting. I expected it to be exciting.
He had a lot of money. He was not happy.



Connect the short sentences below to make one long sentence. 






Video Activity

Vocabulary -use Weblio ; find the Japanese meanings for the words below

1. consumed

2. gained

3. liver

4. cholesterol

5. shot up

6. body fat

7. national average

8. doubled

9. risk

10. coronary heart disease

11. twice as likely

12. heart failure

13. depressed

14. exhausted

15. mood swing

16. my mood swung on a dime

17. craved

18. massive

19. body functions

20. optimistic


Super Size Me handout PDF

Wikipedia re. Super Size Me - English / Japanese

Super Size Me clip (7 minute version of the documentary)


No comments:

Post a Comment