Thursday, June 16, 2022
Wednesday, June 8, 2022
Presentation #2 (How to) is today. You should know how to pronounce all words. Try to speak in a conversational style and with good intonation.
Did you send me your revised writing? Did you send me your slideshow?
Writing #3 (Opinion) is due next week (June 17).
Thursday, June 2, 2022
Please don't argue that people should stop smoking. I've heard this topic too often. Also, please don't write about school uniforms. That's a good topic for high school students, but ...
There are two sides to every argument. You can argue an opinion you don't really believe if you want to. It's an exercise in looking at the other side of an argument. Also, you can write a strange, funny or outrageous opinion if you want to. Just be sure to follow the organization format and have reasons for your points.
Grammar: Comparisons with adjectives
The boy is younger than the man.
The turtle is slower than the rabbit.
The girl is prettier than her mother.
Her clothes are more expensive than my clothes.
More examples (Regular Adjectives):
1. Add “er” sweet: A peach is sweeter than a banana.
small, tall, narrow, dry, slow, fast, high, low, warm, cool, cold, loud
* hot: hotter, fat : fatter, wet : wetter, big : bigger, sad : sadder, thin : thinner
* strange : stranger; loose : looser; wide : wider; safe : safer; wise : wiser
2. Change "y" to “ier” pretty: This picture is prettier than that one.
happy, heavy, hungry, early, easy, cloudy, busy, funny, lonely, healthy, ugly
3. Add “more” expensive: Your sweater is more expensive than mine.
delicious, energetic, dangerous, normal, interesting, boring, special, right, wrong, terrible, foolish, square, stupid
good < better
bad < worse
far < farther
fun < more fun
Comparison Practice Exercises:
Comparisons 2 (type the words)
Do the Comparisons online form now!
To Do List
- Presentation #2 (How to ...) is next week (June 10). Be ready to present your 'How to' paper and send Kevin a link to your slideshow if you have one. Let's do this presentation with great eye contact and almost no reading!
- Writing #3 (Opinion) is due in 2 weeks (June 17).
- Do the Comparisons exercises 1, 2, 3
- Do the Comparisons online form
Thursday, May 26, 2022
Good morning! How was your week?
Did everyone send me Writing #2?
Writing principle - two short sentences should be combined into a longer one when possible.
I like music. I don't like dancing. => I like music, but I don't like dancing.
I don't have any money. I can't buy a car. => I don't have any money, so I can't buy a car.
Rome is the largest city in Italy. It is the capital of Italy.
=> Rome, the largest city in Italy, is the capital.
=> Rome is the capital of Italy and its largest city.
=> The capital and largest city in Italy is Rome.
Sharon brought a pie to the party. It was an apple pie. =>
The baseball team celebrated. They won the championship. =>
We are going to the park. We are going to have a picnic. We are going to play soccer. =>
My soup was cold. I heated it in the microwave.
The movie was exciting. I expected it to be exciting.
He had a lot of money. He was not happy.
Connect the short sentences below to make one long sentence.
Vocabulary -use Weblio ; find the Japanese meanings for the words below
5. shot up
6. body fat
7. national average
10. coronary heart disease
11. twice as likely
12. heart failure
15. mood swing
16. my mood swung on a dime
19. body functions
Super Size Me handout PDF
Super Size Me clip (7 minute version of the documentary)
Thursday, May 19, 2022
Presentation #1 is today! Gambatte!
- How to Find a Girlfriend
- How to Break Up With Your Boyfriend
- How to Get Rich
- How to Succeed at a Job Interview
- How to Get Top Grades in School
- How to Prepare for a Trip
Your writing should have these things:
- 5 paragraphs - introduction; 3 tips (tip #1, tip #2, tip #3); conclusion
- Your thesis at the end of the introduction; "Now I will tell you how to ..."
- Your tip at the beginning of each paragraph
- Details and examples that support each tip
- Repeat the 3 tips briefly in the conclusion
- End with a final sentence that concludes the presentation
Please don't tell us how to cook something (i.e., no recipes). Recipes are kind of boring. BUT you can give us general cooking tips, like "How to Cook Like a Professional" or "How to Save Time Cooking" if you can do it in three tips.
To Do List for next week (May 27)
- Writing #2 - How to ...
Thursday, May 12, 2022
Homonyms / Answer Form
Common Errors Found in Writing Exercise
About presentations next week
Discussion about writing
To Do List
- Job Hunting (Green Hair) listening & online form
- Homonyms listening & spelling
- Common errors found in writing
- Prepare presentations for in person class next week
- Fix the errors in your paper and send it to me again